Writer’s Workshop: Manuscript Critiques
Do you write science fiction, fantasy, or horror? Would you like professional one-on-one feedback about your work-in-progress?
ConQuesT’s Manuscript Critiques for Writers is facilitated by NobleFusion Press, the NobleFusion writer’s collective, and many of ConQuesT’s participating writing professionals. Participants receive a one-on-one intensive critique session with a professional author, editor, or publisher who will offer suggestions to help you make your work the best it can be.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
Critique Fee: $25 per manuscript. Limit one (1) critique per manuscript.
Deadline: Manuscripts and payments must be received by MIDNIGHT, April 23, 2017.
- Manuscripts can be either a short story or a portion of a novel.
- Manuscript must be no more than 10,000 words. If your submission is part of a novel, it should include the first three (3) chapters (up to the 10,000-word limit) plus a brief outline or synopsis of the entire book.
- All manuscripts must use standard manuscript formatting; see Formatting Your Manuscript below.
- Manuscript should be in an electronic format that can be opened using Microsoft Word, Google Docs, or Adobe Reader.
How To Participate
You must complete all five of the following steps to participate in the Manuscript Critique:
1. Purchase your ConQuesT membership.
All Manuscript Critique participants must be registered to attend ConQuesT. Manuscript Critique fees do NOT include a membership to the convention.
2. Complete the Manuscript Critique reservation form.
3. Pay your $25 Manuscript Critique fee by Paypal.
(If the Paypal button doesn’t work, continue with the registration process and notify firstname.lastname@example.org. We will invoice you for the critique fee.).
4. Email your manuscript to the critique coordinator, email@example.com.
5. Wait patiently for your reviewer to contact you to set a meeting time at ConQuesT to discuss your manuscript.
Formatting Your Manuscript
- All manuscripts must use standard manuscript formatting:
- Font: 12-point font (Times New Roman preferred)
- Spacing: Double-spaced, with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Your first page should include the following information: In the upper left corner, put your name, address, email address, and phone number.
- In the upper right corner, put the approximate word count.
- Centered, half-way down, put your title and your byline.
- Start your story beneath your byline.
- On all other pages, in the upper right corner, put your last name, a keyword from the story title, and the page number. For example: Heinlein/Troopers/12
- Do not use boldface. You may use either italics or underlining, but please be consistent.